Hello! It’s a beautiful warm day here in Toronto and it’s hard not to notice the beautiful blooms this time of year. This week’s post is about enlivening your place with fresh cut flowers no matter what time of the year it is. Flower arrangements are an awesome way to add colour, texture, aroma and pattern. Switching up a vase or the type of flowers you use can really transform a space. Get creative with foliage and stems and the material of the container. Display your favourite flowers and switch it up every once in a while. Flowers seem to breathe life and beauty into a room all on their own.
Here are some tips to keep your fresh flowers longer:
1. When you bring the flowers inside, trim about an inch off their stem on an angle to remove any dry areas. Also remove any leaves from the stem that may get submerged in water to prevent any growth of bacteria.
2. Make sure there is plenty of water in the vase.
3. Leave enough room for the stems to sit in the vase – they need room to breathe!
4. Change the water every day or at least every other day as bacteria will begin to form.
5. Keep the flowers in a cool place, away from direct sunlight and from appliances that give off heat. Cool air and water will help them to last longer.
There is nothing like a little bit of nature in the form of a pretty little flower to brighten up your day. With some attention, your arrangement should last at least a week. Enjoy!!